Technology Isn’t The Only Thing Changing - We Are Too!
It used to be that you talked to your friends on the phone. You might have even had to talk to their mom or dad first, whoever answered the phone when you called, and ask to talk to your friend.
Communication among students today is not one person talking to another on the phone anymore. They don’t typically talk to a single friend for an hour uninterrupted. They are almost constantly available, the majority of kids having their own phone. Communication today is more like everyone talking to one another every minute of every day.
Through text, kik, snapchat, ask, twitter, instagram, and so many others - you are now in contact at all times. You can talk to several people individually, form a group message, or speak in an open forum visible to everyone around the world. You can talk to people you know from school or people hundreds of miles away in other countries and on other continents. Even if you're not engaged in a conversation, someone could mention you at any point in time and you'll get a notification.
It's not just the phone that was reinvented, we changed too! The way we communicate has completely been transformed and continues to evolve regularly.
In what other ways is the advancement in technology making huge shifts like this?
In our education business, the App Store has been a total game changer. If we taught through video, we wouldn't be able to respond to the student and whether they understand the material or not. If we taught in person, we wouldn't be able to reach people from all around the world. If we sold games at retail, we wouldn't have a way to provide our free offerings. By teaching through apps, a whole world of possibilities exists for us to offer instruction and extra help to students where and when they need it.
Our MathEdge series is making a real difference for kids. Over 200,000 have used these apps as a tool to improve on their math - you can read their words below. Before the major shift to apps, we wouldn't have been able to use our personal love of math to help so many young learners when they don't understand certain concepts. In MathEdge we were able to create a system that teaches through a guided step-by-step experience while also being patient with each student, allowing them to keep trying when they make a mistake, and giving them encouragement until they develop a strong understanding of each operation!
In their words (we chose our favorites):
- Thank you for this awesome app. Because I was struggling on math then I saw the math app and it was for free I practiced every day now I am getting better at math thanks!!!!!!!
- Thank you very much since 4th grade I didn't know division but since you came I'm a math wiz at division so now your my hero
- I told my 4th grade teacher about this game, and she said it is just fine to play this really cool game to practice for math. Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!! :-)
- I am now the smartest person in my class thanks for everyone that made this app. Yay!
- Thank you this helped me so much. I am so VERY glad this app exists
- I was having a hard time until I found your app thank you
- your game inspires me so much
- Thanks so much this app has helped me a lot and I hope your business is very well: Yours truly a student
- I love this app it is fun to me and I am getting better at it and my teacher is happy because I know mostly all of it and my teacher is smiling at me every time I get it right.
Please try our MathEdge apps and feel free to write to us with any suggestions or other feedback you have! If you are a teacher and would like a free promo code to try the full version with your students, please email us here.
iPad full versions:
MathEdge HD: Addition & Subtraction - http://bit.ly/MathAddSubtract
MathEdge HD: Multiplication - http://bit.ly/MathMultiplication
MathEdge HD: Division - http://bit.ly/MathDivisionApp
iPad free versions:
MathEdge HD: Addition - http://bit.ly/MathAddition
MathEdge HD: Multiplication - http://bit.ly/MathMultiplyFree
MathEdge HD: Division - http://bit.ly/MathDivisionFree
iPhone full versions:
MathEdge: Addition & Subtraction - http://bit.ly/iPhoneAddSubtract
MathEdge: Multiplication - http://bit.ly/iPhoneMultiply
MathEdge: Division - http://bit.ly/iPhoneDivision
Image credit: "Matthew working the phone" by Matthew Rutledge licensed under CC BY 2.0